Sunday, August 6, 2017

Sunday Post (96) / It's Monday, What Are You Reading



The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme now hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

I can't believe it's August already. I've had a busy couple of weeks so I haven't participated in awhile. Last weekend I worked and the weekend before that I visited my parents. My dad is doing really well. He is officially off restrictions now and can drive again and leave his heart pillow behind. He still has to go to therapy but he may get to graduate from it sooner than anticipated. I will be visiting them again next weekend and visiting my sister the weekend after that for my birthday. 

At the library I have been busy getting ready for the fair (it starts tomorrow). I am working two shifts at the fair. During my shifts we are offering rock painting. I ended up having to buy rocks from Amazon and hopefully they'll arrive in time. We will also have some games at our booth and button making which is always a big draw. We are offering several designs including Harry Potter houses, Star Wars and Game of Thrones inspired buttons. This past Friday we went to take a look around the new building where we will have our booth. It is air conditioned (a huge bonus) but we will also be sharing space with an animal arena so we'll get to see some of the judging up close and personal. I am glad I won't be there when the pig judging is going on. I did enjoy visiting the llamas and goats last year but I won't be at the fair during their judging.



Last three weeks on my blog:


Cafe By the Sea by Jenny Colgan (review)

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid (review)
The Alice Network by Kate Quinn (review)
A Twist in Time by Julie McElwain (review)
Changes in Latitudes by Jen Malone (review)



Books read:




Heartstone by Elle Katharine White

This is an interesting fantasy inspired by Pride and Prejudice set in a world with dragons, wyverns and other mythical creatures. Aliza Bentaine doesn't quite live up to Elizabeth Bennet (she's a bit of a mouse) but I still liked the novel.



Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline

I read this for my evening book group. I thought it was pretty good and we had a great discussion.



Changes in Latitudes by Jen Malone

I already posted my review of this. While there were times I got annoyed with the MC, I mostly liked this book.



The Paris Spy by Susan Elia MacNeal

Maggie is an undercover British spy in France during WWII and there is a traitor in their midst. Definitely some edge of your seat moments and the book ends with something of a cliffhanger. I was disappointed that I figured out who the traitor was pretty quickly but it was still a suspenseful read.



The Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson

I thought this was an enjoyable quick read. I loved that the main character's name is Leia and that she is a comic book writer. I enjoyed the descriptions of her comic book. There is a mystery and some romance and quirky characters as well.


Meet Me at the Cupcake Cafe by Jenny Colgan

I love cupcakes and the idea of this novel really appealed to me. Issy loses her job and uses her severance pay to start a cupcake bakery. Her grandfather taught her to bake when she was little and she seems to have inherited his talent for it. Sadly he now has dementia so he is writing down his recipes for her so they won't be forgotten. 


Books listened to:


The Alice Network by Kate Quinn

This audio book was pretty good. The story is engrossing and suspenseful at times, especially Eve's story of her experiences as a spy in WWI France. Inspired by a true story.


The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

This is a powerful story that made me angry and sad and made me think. The narration is excellent too. One of the best books of 2017. I hope to have my review written soon.


Currently reading:


Karma Khullar's Mustache by Kristi Wientge

Poor Karma. I can totally commiserate. On top of getting unwanted facial hair she is also dealing with some difficulty with her best friend. Middle school can be such a tough time.


On my TBR pile:



I love this series and cannot wait to read this. I am sure it will be fun even if I figure out the mystery early on.


The One That Got Away by Melissa Pimentel

This is a retelling of Persuasion, one of my favorite Jane Austen novels. 


The Daughters of Ireland by Santa Montefiore

I loved The Girl in the Castle so I am eagerly looking forward to this sequel. It is something of a family saga so I don't know if I will get through it this week.


New books received:




The Essence of Malice by Ashley Weaver (for review)

Love and Other Consolation Prizes by Jamie Ford (for review)

The Two of Us by Victoria Bylin (for review)

Karma Khullar's Mustache by Kristi Wientge (for review)

In Some Other Life by Jessica Brody (for review)

The Daughters of Ireland by Santa Montefiore (for review)

The Lake Effect by Erin McCahan (library book)


Kiss Carlo by Adriana Trigiani (library book)

Meet Me at the Cupcake Cafe by Jenny Colgan (library book)

The Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson (library book)

13 comments:

  1. I hope you have a great time at the fair! Hopefully it will go well work-wise. I am glad your dad is doing so much better, Christina. What a relief that must be. I am glad you and your group enjoyed The Orphan Train! I really liked that one myself. I am behind with the MacNeal series, but hopefully will catch up soon. I am glad you liked the audio of The Alice Network. I have an e-copy I hope to get to soon. I feel like I'm always saying "hope to get to soon." Haha.

    I hope you have a great week, and enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Orphan Train was a great book club read for our group. It got the conversation going.

    I'm reading Karma Khullar's Mustache, too. Those awful middle school years.

    I've just returned from a road trip:
    https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/08/road-trip-audiobook-marathon.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lovely list of books :) also, pig judging and rock painting! Never seen or heard of any of those, well... maybe rock painting. Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great to hear that your dad is back on the mend! Sending more healing vibes. I adored Meet Me at the Cupcake Cafe although I thought it ended too abruptly. I would have liked to have seen the romance resolution played out fully. Other than that it made me really hungry with all of the baking recipes mentioned in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You received some really good books this week and you sound like you have had a busy week. Hope next week is a great one too.

    Happy reading,
    Jenea's Book Obsession's Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to hear your dad is doing well, awesome news! And you guys always seem to have the coolest library activities! Although yeah judging from some of the 4H and animal exhibits around here I'm not sure I'd want to be TOO close to the judging, ha ha!

    Changes in Latitudes looks good tome, and The Essence of Malice? That must be the new Amory Ames? Clearly I am behind on that series! I want to read The Lake Effec too...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Orphan Tale was really good. Glad your Dad is off restrictions and that you got to see him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, I love rock painting! :)

    Check out my Sunday Post at El's Book Reviews!

    Hope you have a great day!

    - El @ El's Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm putting Karma Khuller's Mustache on my wishlist.

    Next weekend we should be having our first open house. One more week of hard work and insanity. Come see what I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've been busy! Some great books featured here. I also enjoyed Orphan Train quite a lot and I know there is a new book by the author, but didn't get to it yet.

    Still want to read The Alice Network and Love and Other consolation prizes.

    Happy reading this week and here's my current reads: http://marelithalkink.blogspot.co.za/2017/08/monday-shout-out-i-dont-need-therapy-i.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great book haul! I have The Almost Sisters, but haven't read it yet; I am intrigued by the look of The Alice Network.

    I hope to get Cafe by the Sea soon.

    Enjoy your week, and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES


    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice assortment of books. I liked In Some Other Life. I have Heart Stone on my TBR mountain but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Soooo excited for Daughters of Ireland. Can't wait to read it! I also want to read The One that Got Away...just got a copy of that one and I hope to read The Hate You Give. I've heard great things and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. I am also happy your dad is doing better. That's great news!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!