Sunday, January 14, 2018

Sunday Post (100) / It's Monday, What Are You Reading



The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme now hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

I meant to write more in December and then earlier this month but time got away from me. A lot happened--some good, some bad. I did get a new car. So nice to have something reliable. It also has heated seats which is such a bonus at this time of year.

It's hard to believe we are already three weeks into 2018. I was honestly dreading this year for a long time (because I'm turning 40) but I've decided to embrace it instead. I am planning to go to Washington D.C. in July with my sister to celebrate. We hope to see Hamilton at the Kennedy Center and do some sightseeing. I love history so there is a lot I want to see and experience (sadly not the White House--really wish I'd been able to go before 2017).

As I write I am bundled up in my apartment without heat. My heater decided to quit working last night just as we were hit with a snowstorm. I have a feeling it won't be fixed till Monday at the earliest. The maintenance guy dropped off some space heaters for me which helps a little. On the bright side I still have electricity and I did get a snow day today (Saturday) because of the bad weather. Is anyone else ready for spring?

I haven't read that many books recently. I have been busy working from home, trying to get my online reading program for adults up and running. It starts on Monday. The children's department is doing an online winter reading program but it doesn't start till February. I hope that our patrons will respond positively to it. We have been getting some calls from people who are excited to try it. I am still offering a paper option for those without computer or Internet access but we want as many people as possible to use the online software and I'm trying to add some cool incentives like extra prizes and points they can earn. We'll see how it goes!


Books read:



In This Moment by Karma Brown

I was intrigued by the premise of this book. A mom is picking up her teenage daughter after school and she waves another student across the road but he is hit by an oncoming car that doesn't see him. The book deals with the guilt and emotional fallout that the mother feels but I found her to be really unlikable especially for some bad choices she makes.


Still Me by Jojo Moyes

This is the sequel to After You. Louisa takes a job as an assistant of sorts to the second wife of a wealthy New Yorker. I thought it was pretty good and liked it more than After You though it isn't quite as good as Me Before You which set the bar pretty high. It is great to see Lou continue to discover who she is.




Currently reading:




The Siege Winter by Ariana Franklin and Samantha Norman

I am more than halfway through this book and it is so good. A historical novel with some suspense as there is an evil murderous monk involved. It is the book my evening book group is reading for January.


New books received:


Surprise Me by Sophie Kinsella

Blood and Sand by C.V. Wyk

American Panda by Gloria Chao

11 comments:

  1. My parents furnace went out on Thanksgiving. They had to get a new one. It went out again on Christmas! We couldn't believe it. They paid a fortune for a new furnace and AC unit and it didn't even last a month. They had to go several days with out heat because the company couldn't figure out what was wrong. Hopefully yours is fixed quickly!
    I love DC! All those museums! Its a history nerds dream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love heated seats! Why is it though that they warm up almost immediately but the heater takes a while? One of the things I wonder. :)

    Anyway congrats on the new car. And oh no about your heater! I hope they get it fixed soon. Stay warm!!

    The Siege Winter looks interesting, and In This Moment- what a premise! Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your new car is working out for you! It must be such a relief. I hope you are able to see Hamilton when you go to D.C. I would love to see it someday. How awful about your heater! I hope it is fixed soon. This is a bad time to be without heat. :-(

    In This Moment sounds really good--and emotional. I hope you enjoy your new books! I am especially looking forward to Surprise Me. It's been awhile since my last Kinsella book.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the new car. I went to DC in 2008 and had lots of fun seeing all the memorials and buildings. Have a great week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. January seems to be a same time for a lot of us. It's hard to get back in the groove isn't it. I have to say, I quite liked turning 40. I know it's a big one but there is something freeing once you get through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have After You still waiting to be read...after which I will add Still Me to my stacks. Glad you enjoyed it.

    In This Moment sounds like a terrifying read, with a lot of emotion. But I think I must read it!

    Thanks for sharing, and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you are enjoying your new car. Too bad about the heat but thank goodness for space heaters. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Forty is so young, don't worry about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry about your heater. Our place doesn't have a furnace, just space heaters. Come see what I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for the new car but boo to no heat. I hope it's fixed soon. I have a long list of books that I want to read but I just haven't been in a reading mood lately. I'm hoping that would change.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the new car! Sorry to hear about your heater though. I hope it gets fixed soon. I am SO ready for spring as well. I look forward to your thoughts on Siege Winter....sounds like something I'd enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!