Sunday, February 25, 2018

Sunday Post (104)



The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme now hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

It almost feels like spring. In fact it hit the 70s on Tuesday and I left work early to take advantage of it. If only it had lasted...but spring is just around the corner, right? :)

I haven't been writing much lately because I have some kind of back/arm muscle issue that causes me pain if I'm on my laptop very long. It's not as bad as it was a couple of weeks ago when it started but I am feeling rather uncomfortable as I type this. I think I will have to get out the heating pad when I am done.

At the library I have been busy working on March programs. I now have 4 events planned: a movie matinee (showing Thor: Ragnarok), Harry Potter trivia night, an Instant Pot cooking class and a sled dog program. The one that is the most work is the trivia night. I am currently working on writing the questions and testing them. I have written questions for 7 rounds so far but some of the questions were too difficult so I'm trying to add some easier questions too. I kind of want it to be more challenging though. 



Last week on my blog:



The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah (review)

American Panda by Gloria Chau (review)



Books read:


The Serpent's Secret by Sayantani DasGupta

This was a fun middle grade adventure fantasy very reminiscent of Rick Riordan.


The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory

I think I read this one in an afternoon. I really enjoyed this contemporary romance and liked that it featured an interracial couple. 


The Boat People by Sharon Bala


This was such a sad story. The one thing I didn't like was the character of Grace. I didn't relate to her (actually couldn't stand her) or her storyline. This book is inspired by true events that happened in Canada in 2010.


A Treacherous Curse by Deanna Raybourn

Although the first book wasn't my favorite, I am really enjoying this historical mystery series. Veronica is a hoot!


Death Overdue by Allison Brook


This book was recommended to me by a library patron. Since the main character is an adult programming librarian (like me) I decided to give it a try and I thought it was fun. I could definitely relate to some of the library issues though none of my guest presenters has ever died by poison or otherwise! I plan to read the second book in the series when it is released.




Books listened to:



Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling (reread)

I thought I'd reread this as part of my trivia night research. I don't know if I'll have time to reread the entire series before I have to have the questions done but I'll try.



Currently reading:



The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

This is the selection for my afternoon book group this month. It is set in 1920s Alaska and has a little magical realism in it (a childless couple builds a child out of snow and the next day it is gone but they see a real child in the woods wearing the same scarf and mittens) 




On my TBR pile:


Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (reread)

I don't know if I will have time to reread this before my evening book group meets on Tuesday. It is one of my favorite books of all time and I wish I'd read it earlier in the month instead of waiting till last minute!


The Lost Castle by Kristy Cambron

I've already started reading this but had to set it aside to read book club books. There are three different storylines (one contemporary and two historical). The historical parts interest me more than the modern day part. One storyline takes place during the French Revolution and one takes place in WWII France. 



New books received:



The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory (library book)

A Treacherous Curse by Deanna Raybourn (library book)

The Lost Castle by Kristy Cambron (for review)

13 comments:

  1. Ragnarok is a fun movie and I loved it. Chris Hemsworth *swoon* The cover of the wedding date looks promising. Will be back to your thoughts about it later this week.

    Gayathri @ Elgee Writes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like March will be a lot of fun, especially the Harry Potter trivia night.
    I really enjoyed Snow Child, I hope you will too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED, LOVED Pride and Prejudice. The only book I have read more than once. I hope you enjoy it. I have been reading a lot of horrors. But I do love a good historical romance. Have a great week of reading!

    Mary #SundayRoundup #7

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your library events sounds fun especially the Ragnarok screening (fun!) and the trivia night. Good luck w/ the questions! :)

    Death Overdue and the Raybourn one look good.

    I'm ready for spring!! Hope your back/arm pain passes soon...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, your library is awesome. I still need to read The Snow Child. It sounds unusual. Enjoy your new books. Have a great week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best of success on the trivia night. Hope you figure out what is wrong with your elbow. Love the Veronica Speedwell series too. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are some really pretty covers. It has felt like spring here all week - even a couple of days in the low 80s, but the rain moved in yesterday and is bringing cooler temps (highs in the 60s). I'm ready for spring! Happy Reading! Donna from Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice assortment of books. I liked A Treacherous Curse and Death Overdue too. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your library events sound good.

    I loved The Great Alone. Thanks for sharing your week, and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, those covers are gorgeous!! And I have Harry Potter on Audible but haven't gotten to it yet. It is one I am extremely intrigued to listen to :) Great list!

    You can see what I'm reading here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sorry you are having pain! I hope you are feeling better soon.

    My love for Harry Potter was rekindled last October - it is like I am discovering that world all over again. I love it! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry you are having pain. As I type this my back is out - so I totally get it. Hope you feel better soon! I'm glad you enjoyed The Wedding Date. I just finished it last night- so cute, light and fun - just what I needed. I will have to check out Lost Castle- seems like something I'd enjoy! I hope you have a great week and good luck with your library programs. They sound fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!